Thursday, August 12, 2010

Oddly, this isn't from the Onion

by Michael

At first, I thought maybe it was April Fools’ Day. I mean, I know we have artisanal everything these days, from foods to furniture to mining, but this one just seemed a little less useful: artisanal pencil sharpening. But it’s quite real. For $15, you too can have your pencil lovingly sharpened by David Rees, creator of the brilliant comic Get Your War On (my favorite being the, “What if our president had been a shoe” panel). Your pencil comes back very well-packaged, along with the shavings, too. As he says, they’re your shavings!

It’s conceptual art, I think, and the whole thing kept me more engaged than I imagined I would be when I first started the Jacket Copy post. As one who loses writing implements on a daily basis, though, I think I’ll pass on the sharpening. Any takers?

4 comments:

  1. As P.T. Barnum once said, "There's a sucker born every minute." $15 to sharpen my pencil - no thank you, I'll sharpen my own!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! two words: mechanical pencil!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pencil? What's a pencil???

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would think the pencil and shavings are the art. Have them framed. Perhaps, as they say, that's the point.

    ReplyDelete