Monday, November 30, 2009

Even more to read

by Jim

Oh, jeez. The New York Times has released their list of 100 Notable Books of 2009.  As is always the case when this comes out, I feel a touch overwhelmed. It’s exciting to know that there are always more great books out there to be read, but at times it gets a bit daunting that you can never even hope to catch up. Or is that just me?

I already have Let the Great World Spin and The Year of the Flood set aside for my holiday break reading. And I want to read Half-Broke Horses and Wolf Hall. And Follow Me sounds fascinating. Ack!

Anyone else excited or frustrated by year end lists? See any titles that for sure should be skipped?

6 comments:

  1. Mostly overwhelmed. Shorter lists, I might look over for additions to my reading lists which grow faster than my reading. I'm getting close to finishing revising my novel so a lot of my reading in the coming months will be debut novels repped by agents that I'm considering querying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Arggghhh!! My "to be read" list is already way too long!! Good to see that some of the 100 notable books are already on my list... that will make it easier. :) "Let The Great World Spin" was amazing!! And I too have "The Year of The Flood" set aside... mmm... off to make this blasted list smaller. If I can.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait to read the new Jeannette Walls book. Aside from that, all the books on my Christmas list are oldies-but-goodies, like Hammett.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Linda Johnson30/11/09 6:59 PM

    Overwhelming and sad at the same time, because there is no way I'll make it to the end of the list and that's just reading the list! What I would like is a list of children and young adult books as that is mostly what I read. Then I could check off each one I read in 2009 and feel a sense of accomplishment.
    My holiday reading titles are "The Forest of Hands and Teeth" by Carrie Ryan and "Fade" book 2 of "Wake" by Lisa McMann.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahhh, a family member like American Rust but I'm not sure what your taste is lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. "The Lacuna" sounds like a great read, right up my alley, and The Casebook of Victor Frankenstein sounds like fun!

    Oy, too many books, too little time!

    ReplyDelete