Friday, November 06, 2009

Welcome to DGLM, Rachel Oakley!

I’d like to formally introduce myself to all our blog readers out there, as I’ve recently joined the team here at DGLM as Jane's assistant, and couldn’t be more excited about it.

I think a little information on my background is the best way to begin my first blog, so here goes...

I moved to the United States as a teenager, but returned to my home country of Australia to go to college. I started my freshman year in college thinking I was going to be a psychologist. In my second year of college I decided I was going to major in French. Then, in my third and fourth years of college, I decided it was time to follow the things I was passionate about and ended up as an English and Philosophy major.

During college I worked as an Editorial Assistant, and I occasionally wrote for the local women’s interest zine. I was always trying to get more than a foot in the door of publishing. So, moving to New York and working in publishing--particularly in a literary agency--has always been a goal of mine.

There was one question asked by a reader a few blogs ago about why agents do agenting, and I want to answer why I love working in an agency. Of course, I love books, and I like to write, but I think the one thing I truly love about working in a literary agency is that I get to see the entire process of publishing, from a rough manuscript to a finished book on the shelves. I have the opportunity to read things I wouldn’t ordinarily read and have different ideas presented to me--I find it all very exciting!

I’m looking forward to my future with DGLM, writing more blogs and hearing your opinions.


Over and out,
-Rachel

9 comments:

  1. Good Luck Rach!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How exciting! I would love to see that side of the business. I wish you the best in your career!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Always great to see an Aussie doing well in US publishing :-) Which state/territory are you from? (I'm in VIC.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome Rachel! It's nice to see a fellow Aussie at DGLM. Great to see you living your dream.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay for Aussies!! Congrats on the amazing job and best of luck with it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, everyone. Tez, I'm originally from SA. Born in VIC, so don't hold the SA thing against me :)

    - Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  7. You achieved a lot in your life, it is wonderful when one have the opportunity to work in what you love, you really enjoy everyday in the work.sv77

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rachel Oakley is the most professional person I've ever seen in my whole life!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I miss rachel :(

    ReplyDelete