Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Even the zombies are on Twitter!

by Stacey

I know we're all getting ready to eat lots of turkey, and that means we are also ready for a few days off. While this link to a clever marketing campaign created by Quirk Books has nothing to do with the holidays, I thought it was a good example of what publishers (and authors) are trying to do to come up with new ways to market their books. To me, it's a bit of a stretch to have fictional characters talking about whatever, but these books are already popular, so Quirk is likely thinking this will be a way to keep them selling through the holidays. According to Bookscan, Pride and Prejudice and Zombies has sold well over half a million copies already, so the audience is definitely out there to be marketed to. Enjoy, and have a great Thanksgiving. We'll try to come up with some helpful and thoughtful content for you to sink your teeth into after the break (and before the next one)!!

9 comments:

  1. This explains why I have fictional vampires following me on Twitter. Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess that might work for some, but overall I find it so incredibly cheesy that it leaves a bad taste in my mouth. It's bad enough to be bombarded by the regular marketers on Twitter, I don't want to have to fend off people that don't really exist too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hear you, Tracy, and I don't disagree. From a marketing perspective, though, I understand it. It's hard to stand out through all the noise out there, so I suspect we'll be seeing a lot more of this type of thing in the years ahead. Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Actually, the ABC show Castle has been doing something similar with its characters. But I don't think it's as ... intense, shall we say?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I actually like the idea. I thought of it myself a while ago, but like all social networking, it has to be done elegantly so we don't get sick of hearing from them and they have to have something interesting to say. That will be the hard part.

    Not sure if I'd do it for my characters. I think I'll wait and see how it goes for others first. What they would have to say would be about what happens in the book. It might not make sense to those who haven't read it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just saying thanks will not just be sufficient, for the fantasti c lucidity in your writing. I will instantly grab your rss feed to stay informed of any updates. ivanka trump twitter

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is also a very good post which I really enjoyed reading. It is not every day that I have the possibility to see something like this.. ivanka trump twitter

    ReplyDelete
  8. We are tied directly into the sate’s renewal database which allows us to process your request almost instantly ivanka trump twitter

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you very much for this great post. smm provider

    ReplyDelete