Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Thanksgiving's here, I can smell it


by Stephanie

It’s Tuesday! Which means it’s almost Wednesday! Which means it’s almost time for one of my favorite holidays of the year! Needless to say, I’m a little excited for this work week to pass. So as I count the hours (seconds?) to Thursday, I wanted to pass along this great post from Rachelle Gardner’s blog, Rants & Ramblings, about the all-important holiday plan for all you writers out there.  With extra time off but more holiday-related obligations, budgeting out time for writing will be more important than ever. As we approach these next few days off, I’m sure many of you have some kind of goal mapped out for that work-in-progress, but if not, this post offers great tips. First of all, I appreciate Rachelle’s realistic expectations in budgeting time: “try to accurately assess about how much time you’ll have for your personal writing pursuits.  Then, divide that time in half.” She gets it! She also takes into account the possible obstacles that may impede writing, and the importance of anticipating how they could potentially affect those word counts.

So what are your writing plans for the holiday break? Are deadlines looming? Looking to finish that new novel? Or start one, perhaps?  Either way, now that I’m in holiday mode, I hope you, dear readers, have a restful and productive holiday!

2 comments:

  1. I'm taking today and tomorrow off from writing entirely. (Pumpkin pie does not bake itself.) This weekend, I plan to work on some new short stories -- but I have no deadline, goals, or specific plans in mind. It's kind of fabulous. Have a great holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just finished a round of edits and am sending the manuscript off to a contest. Taking 1-2 days to breathe and then plunging back into it again on Friday.

    ReplyDelete