Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Holiday library reading

by Stacey

Since most of us are pretty much doing everything we can to check out early before the holidays begin, I thought it would be fun and easy to share this piece from the Seattle Times literary page that lists the top 10 books taken out from The Seattle Library in 2010. It's a chance to see what Americans, at least in Seattle, are really reading. There aren't any big surprises on the list, but I am personally happy to see the #1 book, The Help, is a first novel. Very incredible in this market that a first time author can find the kind of success that Kathryn Stockett has found with this book. It's also interesting to see the kind of nonfiction that makes the list. Smart, thought-provoking titles, Outliers and Food Rules, books that allow the reader see every day things in a unique and different way. And I'll be picking up a copy of I Stink to read to my kids over the break. I'm curious to know more about this book that made the list alongside all of these adult titles. I hope you'll find something from this list or elsewhere to read over the holidays, and take the time to relax and enjoy family, friends, and a good book. We'll look forward to sharing a lot more publishing-related news and views in the New Year!

17 comments:

  1. I Stink is awesome. Definitely one of the most original "Things That Go" books to come out in ages. Both of my kids adore it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like this website , and hope you will write more ,thanks a lot for your information.
      job games
      anna games
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPfDO1Keirs&list=PLh3GYM5H9CpbAZ_PlRm-ib83VchZDjrI-&index=53

      Delete
  2. I loved THE HELP. As a writer, it's both inspiring and disheartening that the author accrued 44 rejections before an agent agreed to represent her. I wonder how you agents feel about that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Julie.

    I agree that it's inspiring and disheartening about The Help, and I'm sure there are plenty of agents out there losing sleep over rejecting it (or at least regretting it!). It's a tough business, and one that offers few guarantees, not to mention a lot of opinions, many of which turn out to be wrong. I liked The Help, too, and I'm not sure how I would have reacted to it if it came in to me, because it's a complicated story that takes on a lot of difficult subject matter in an original but unusual way. For me, it took time to get under my skin, and I wasn't instantly engaged or drawn in as I like to be when I take something on. But that's just me and my opinion, and I can't speak for the others who passed, but I would be curious to know what made them say no. I'm friends with her editor, so I'll have to ask her next time I see her!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am reading OUTLIERS now. It is much different than I expected it to be; however, I am enjoying it. It has given me much food for thought.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank goodness I had the Sunday off the day I read The Help by Sockett, don't normally read books in a day. And she's younger than me! Sockett's writing is genius. Agree.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great blog.. Your article touch my brain and heart,, good luck ... I will follow your blog.. Thanks,

    Procrastination Free Living

    ReplyDelete
  8. It’s really a nice and useful piece of information. I am satisfied that you simply shared this useful information with us.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This constantly amazes me just how blog owners such as your self can find the time as well as the dedication to keep on crafting superb blog posts. Your website is good and one of my personal must read weblogs. I just had to thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your blog. This is a cool site and I wanted to post a little note to tell you, good job! Best wishes!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is much different than I expected it to be; however, I am enjoying it. It has given me much food for thought.
    Movies

    ReplyDelete
  12. However the post is very useful blog.It is very much informative too. It has give me much thought.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mi piace guardare tutte queste foto di filati abbastanza :) Non vedo l'ora di vedere cosa si maglia con tutto questo!

    ReplyDelete
  14. The best thing to do in my opinion is to make the process of commenting itself a little more bureaucratic. Maybe require a Disqus or Livefyre ID before being allowed to post comments.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank goodness I had the Sunday off the day I peruse The Help by Sockett, don't regularly peruse books in a day. Furthermore she's younger than me! Sockett's composing is master. Concur.

    ReplyDelete