Wednesday, June 09, 2010

Technical difficulties

by Lauren

Hello there, blog readers!  I've recently been alerted to a couple technological snafus related to our blog.   Fortunately, you guys have been super helpful in the past, so I'm coming back for more.  In the eternal tech conundrum, it's near impossible to troubleshoot a problem you can't replicate, so naturally both these things don't appear to be an issue on our end (and we haven't changed any settings recently, related or otherwise).

First DGLM client Joelle Anthony let us know that sometime in April or so, she stopped being able to comment on our blog.  Here's what she says:

"Just so you know, what happens is I click comment, the window opens, I type my comment, I choose my name and URL (I’ve also tried anonymous) and then when I hit post, instead of word verification coming up like it used to, everything just disappears and I’m back reading the comments that are already there."

She can comment on blogs where comments are formatted like this: http://anthonysundaysoup.blogspot.com/ but not on blogs where comments are formatted like ours: http://ramblingsofadevotedbookworm.blogspot.com/.


And second we heard via Facebook from reader Mark Janousek that lately our blog entries don't show up in his Facebook news feed.  I suspect Facebook's the culprit here, with their constant setting switches and such, but I don't see a way to change those settings. 


I still get the blog feed on my Facebook and have no problem commenting on our blog.

So for both questions: a) does anyone know why that happens?, b) does it happen to anyone else?, c) has anyone narrowed down the circumstances under which it happens to a narrower set?, and/or d) does anyone know what settings I need to tweak?


If you can't comment, please feel free to email me at labramo@dystel.com with any answers to the above!

Thanks in advance, guys, and thanks especially to Joelle and Mark for giving us the heads up!

8 comments:

  1. I had problems posting comments for a while. Then I realized it was my browser settings. You have to allow third party cookies in order to post with this template. Hope that helps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If this comes through, then I'm no problems with commenting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes! I've had problems commenting on the blog, depending on the computer's settings, as Holly said.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm writing to tell you that I can't comment!!
    ...
    ...
    ...
    That was a joke. I'm commenting just fine, obviously. :) And since I don't have it via Facebook, I can't say one way or the other.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've had trouble with in-form comments before on my Mac, so I'll see whether this one goes through with the '3rd party cookies' enabled.

    This seems to do the trick, but I still prefer the other comment styles.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also no longer get the blog on FaceBook. I never got all the comments, so I'm reading it here from now on.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, if you see this, then you know that clicking accept third party cookies worked for me! Thanks for letting me know.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely! Thanks to you all for your help. Both problems seem to be resolved. We definitely want to make things work, so if you ever notice something's not working, please don't hesitate to let us know!!


    -Lauren

    ReplyDelete