Friday, March 19, 2010

A gritty, unflinching and epic blog post

by Rachel

Michelle Kerns has read my mind. In her blog for the Examiner, Michelle points out a literary epidemic--the dull and clichéd book review. I agree with Michelle that there is nothing worse than reading a review where the words “compelling,” “tour de force,” and “readable” are used to describe a literary work. Readable? Really?!

So, in order to draw attention to those book review offenders, she invented a new game: Book Review Bingo!

If you go ahead and play this, beware! You’ll be surprised as to how fast you shout “Bingo!” with the reading of a couple of book reviews.  It only took me three! Did anyone beat me? And which riveting and timely cliché is your (least) favorite?

1 comment:

  1. What a fabulous idea!

    My least favourite review phrase is "a dazzling debut". I read three of those this year and the only word I could agree with in any of them was "debut". Disappointing; Review Bingo sounds like a much better way to pass the time LOL

    ReplyDelete