- What do you regard as the lowest depth of misery?
Being stuck in an elevator, train, airplane or any other closed space for any length of time without a book.
- What is your idea of earthly happiness?
Aside from staring at my kid? Lounging on a beach with a cold drink, a salty snack, a book I can’t put down and nowhere I have to be anytime soon.
- Who are your favorite heroes of fiction?
Lawrence Durrell’s Justine, Dostoevsky’s Prince Myshkin, Elizabeth Bennett, William Styron’s Sophie, William Faulkner’s Quentin, E. Annie Proulx’s Quoyle, and so many others…
- Who are your favorite characters in history?
Benjamin Disraeli, Eleanor Roosevelt, Winston Churchill, Eleanor of Aquitaine, Benjamin Franklin, Sor Juana Ines de la Cruz...
- Your favorite painter?
- Your favorite musician?
Bach, Liszt, Frank Sinatra, Dusty Springfield, Elvis Costello, Pink, Brandi Carlile (see the problem here?)
- Who would you have liked to be?