Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Galley tales

by Miriam

It’s BEA week (check this out for an overview of the conference if you’re not familiar with it) which means that some of us are at the Javitz Center checking out publishers’ exhibits, schmoozing with authors who are in from out of town, and loading up free tote bags with galleys of books that are already generating buzz.

For me, the point of BEA has always been collecting those galleys. Invariably, I find myself walking the huge expanse of the Javitz arena ridiculously bogged down by the weight of too many of these advanced readers copies only to realize when I leave the building that getting from 11th Avenue to civilization requires a very long walk to the nearest subway or an endless wait for a cab. No matter. It’s still a thrill to read something in this vulnerable, unfinished format (complete with typos and mostly exaggerated promotional information on the back cover) and then watch the published book race up the bestseller lists, win a huge prize, or both.

I just came across this old piece from New York magazine and was delighted to see how many of those galleys I’d picked up at the 2007 BEA went on to gaudy sales and great acclaim.

Are any of you attending BEA this year? What galleys are you walking away with?

5 comments:

  1. *sigh* BEA sounds wonderful. I'll try to live vicariously. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I SO wish I were at BEA. Alas, I am stuck at work. I want a Matched ARC so bad I can taste it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I walked out of BEA today with more books than I can possibly read. Alas, the 'To Read' list grows even bigger... I am very excited about Emma Donaghue's "Room".

    ReplyDelete
  4. I came out of there with 24 books, 14 of which were signed...absolute glee! My favorites, the ones I'm ready to devour are Diana Peterfreund's "Ascendant" and Richelle Mead's "Spirit Bound" (technically this one is already out, but it's a signed hardcover copy!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I say many thanks to Mr. admin website I read this, because in this website I know a lot of information information that I did not know before his

    Pengobatan Bells Palsy Herbal
    Obat Tradisional Benjolan Di Pantat
    Obat Diabetes Insipidus
    Menghilangkan Benjolan Lemak
    Obat Penyakit Dompo

    ReplyDelete