Thursday, April 15, 2010

All together now!

by Michael

Back in 1998, super-librarian Nancy Pearl launched “If All of Seattle Read the Same Book,” the first city-wide book club. The success of that program led cities all across the country to get together and read collectively. (Our own Lorene Cary’s The Price of a Child was selected as the inaugural One Book, One Philadelphia pick in 2003.) The NEA has their own version of the program, called The Big Read, which has a list of books that communities can choose from, each with related guides and ancillary materials.

Now comes One Book, One Twitter from Wired writer Jeff Howe, in which Twitter users help select a title by April 27, then will read and discuss the book via Twitter. I’m curious to see how this experiment turns out. With the One City programs, there were ways for small groups of people to get together to discuss the book. I wonder how much listening will actually be done in this case. But there’s only one way to find out!

The only book on the list I haven’t read is American Gods, so I’ve voted for that. Anyone else care to join?

5 comments:

  1. I am so in! Thanks for sharing this. There are a lot of classics I haven't read but want to, and many of them are on this list. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not on Twitter (I think I might be the last holdout, even though I'm on other social networking sites), but I think it might be fun to read the book and see what others are saying about it anyway. I hope people blog about it, too, even if their posts are above 140 characters. I'm sure the participation will be huge.

    I loved AMERICAN GODS, and would highly recommend it whether it's the vote-winner or not. I've not read THE GOD OF SMALL THINGS or 100 YEARS OF SOLITUDE, although both have been recommended to me and I wouldn't mind reading them. I'm looking forward to seeing what's selected.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm in! I voted for Catcher in the Rye. Somehow I made it through adolescence without reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds like a great idea. I hadn't heard of it before. I'm in. I'll vote for American Gods. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm in too! This is a great idea.

    ReplyDelete