Thursday, April 29, 2010

A day at the printer

by Michael

A recent post over at MobileRead led me to this amazing graphic about how books are made--not the editorial stuff, but rather how a physical book is taken from digital file to printed copies. It’s quite educational, and very, very geeky. When I shared the link with Lauren, her reaction was the same as mine: it looks like a Richard Scarry book! And like Mr. Scarry’s A Day at the Airport would keep me occupied for hours, I have a feeling I’ll be spending a lot of time with this!

7 comments:

  1. That is amazing! I want it as a T-shirt or a poster or something. At the very least, I need to bookmark it to whip out when someone asks me some random question about publishing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yikes! I've got a headache now, after following the arrows and just generally making sense of it. But that's such a great graphic, so thank you for that link (and for my headache)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that graphic...it would make a cool t-shirt except the print would be so small, no one would be able to read it without invading your personal space. Not sure I want people getting THAT close to me, hahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That gave me a headache too. But I love Richard Scarry and have spent many happy days studying his wonderful drawings. Mr. Hedgehog's Christmas was always my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  5. love the graphic- I could just imagine it being blown up 10x10 and on a wall

    ReplyDelete
  6. That was real fun. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think someone should submit it to Richard Scarry for a "rewrite". It would be a lot less geeky with carrot fork lifts hauling paper rolls to alligator mouth delivery trucks a la "Cars and Trucks and Things That Go"

    ReplyDelete